Cory Arcangel

Posted by on June 29, 2016

Cory Arcangel is an artist that truly takes a digital approach and makes it his own. Well known for his hacks on Nintendo cartridges, but he also creates art through other mediums. Arcangel has made pieces through drawing, video, music, and performance art. His work draws in themes from pop culture and video games, then is mixed with appropriation. Arcangel has a page on soundcloud in which he has posted “Dances For The Electric Piano.” Its an interesting yet equally intriguing sound.

After looking through all of Cory’s work, I have to say I enjoyed his hacks on the Nintendo cartidges the most. Personally I greatly enjoyed playing the Nintendo 64 and how he modified them just fascinates me. The best one of them was “I Shot Andy Warhol.” A game where you use the NES Zapper and play a hacked version of a shooter game. In it you aim to shoot multiple different versions of Andy Warhol and avoid shooting Flavor Flav, Colonel Sanders, and the Pope. It’s a great pop culture twist on a classic NES game.

i-shot-andywarhol-2002-002-cartridge-4-database-ih

i-shot-andy-2002-002-screen-shot-3-database-ih